The Triana neighbourhood is one of the underpinning elements of Sevillian culture, a breeding ground of flamenco singers, dancers and guitarists and a neighbourhood of potters that group together in the Plaza del Altozano square, next to the Triana Bridge.
The origins of the neighbourhood can be traced back in history to when the Roman legions established themselves there. The Almohads built a rudimentary bridge that linked the neighbourhood with the city, and that was later turned into the Triana Bridge.
With a long-standing seafaring tradition, Triana was home to many of the sailors who sailed to the recently discovered continent of America, and whilst the river has been a source of wealth and growth, flooding has also caused devastation in the neighbourhood.
What to See in Triana
In a neighbourhood that's as full of life as Triana, it is hardly necessary to highlight places to visit, as the natural pull and charm of its streets are so inviting to visitors. Having said that, here are some places which deserve special attention:
- Castillo de San Jorge (Castle of Saint George): built on top of an old Visigothic fort, it currently houses exhibitions about the dark past regarding the Spanish Inquisition.
- Triana Market: one of the best ways of feeling the vibe of this neighbourhood is by visiting the local market in the morning and discovering its fruit, meat and vegetable stalls.
- Calle Betis: running parallel to the river, with its colourful façades this is one of the city's most emblematic streets.
- Triana Bridge: linking Triana to the historical centre of the city, it offers fabulous views of both banks of the River Guadalquivir.
Tours around Triana
- To discover the neighbourhood in its entirety and to enjoy it to the fullest, you can reserve one of the following tours:
- Flamenco: Triana is famous for being the birthplace of flamenco, and there is no better way to witness why the neighbourhood is so well-loved than by seeing an authentic flamenco show.
- Tapas: the neighbourhood has countless tapas bars and restaurants, a good way of discovering them is on our tapas tour.
- Triana Night Tour: discover the mysteries and legends dating back hundreds of years on this night tour of the neighbourhood.